Kim's Weight Loss

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

YO(ga)

I've often joked that I would love to tell people that I am a Pilate's instructor, when they ask what I do for a living. I tried it out a few months ago, with a new temp at work. She told me she was a Pilate's instructor and I said "so am I". She said "small world". And I said that was a joke, see "I don't look like a Pilate's instructor". I got a good laugh at least.
I decided to try the power yoga class. I've done Yoga off and on, mostly off for 12 years. I started back when I was trying to get pregnant, even did prenatal yoga, and even when I was pregnant with Jadon. When I asked an obgyn if I could keep doing yoga while I was pregnant. He laughed and said "you stand on your head, you break your neck". Needless to say I didn't go back to him. Anyway I've only ever done tapes and classes at the YMCA. The Y is usually safe, there are normal people there, all sizes, all ages. So I went tonight. As I arrived, they were taking their perky little selves outside, to gaze at the sun. I trotted behind, thinking does this 5 minute walk count as aerobic exercise. I put my mat down, noted I was the heaviest by at least 100 pounds and started to listen. The instructor started to roam, she came right up to me, crouched down and said "have you practiced yoga". I wanted to say I'm a Pilate's instructor, but she seemed to busy for the joke, so I just said "yes". I thought I can do this. Then she started this series of 5 poses, quickly for 5 reps. Stand up, hands to the sky, bend down, hop or walk your feet back, down to a push up, cat stretch, then downward dog, then hop your feet forward, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, start again. Ok we did this 5 times, and she said alright "that's your warm up". I let out a laugh, and tried to disguise it as a vigorous exhale. I remembered that most of the yoga I did was when I was 80pounds thinner, and a lot of the poses were physically impossible. SO I just did the best I could basically faked it. I was glad I was in the back, and then she had us pivot around, and now I'm in the front. All I can think is thank god there are no mirrors, I can't see myself. And then I realized everyone could be looking at my butt!! Oh well. Afterwards she came up and introduced herself. And said "she loved my modifications, and it's all about working at the place were in". I know what she meant but it seemed so new agey. I will go back so I can show her that even though I'll never be a size zero, I will be able to grab my big toe instead of my shins. One day I'll be able to do the full POWER YOGA, not just the YO.

Day 2 of goal of 6
Power YOGA 90mins
little sweat
felt stretched and great

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey, I'm a pilates instructor too!!

Anonymous said...

You always make me smile with your stories! I can picture being there with you and laughing through the whole yoga class together! We would get in so much trouble!

Love ya!

- Beth