Kim's Weight Loss

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Arms and Core

OK I'm never going to or would I ever want to look like the above picture. But I am trying to embrace my athletic side. I keep imaging the photographer saying "OK go ahead relax, put your arms down...no really put your arms down...say cheese" It looks like she cant put her arms down. Trying not to judge but this just doesn't look right...I admire her work ethic?!

Probably premature but I' starting to think about when I reach my goal....where is all this skin going to go. I'm on the young side so I maybe have to elasticity left to my skin. I am exercising so that should help. But I really want to avoid hanging skin. Not to get in a Bikini but just to help my body image and make all this work show in my body.

I also am in love with Yoga, it's the one exercise, except maybe swimming that I actually look forward too. I think I can get really good at it. Right now I want to be able to do better. Two things I know I lack are arm and core strength. I'm pretty flexible and my balance isn't bad. Now granted you use your body as your "weight" in yoga class so I lift at least twice as much as most in my class, but I still am hindered by my body.

So all this is to say that I want to do some core and arm work every day. I did some online research and found some simple exercises that I can do with home weights in my room in front of the TV. This will be the toning routine you see on my exercise chart. I figure I'll try to do it everyday. I can do it any time of day while I watch TV. I'm going to start with 5 reps for arms and 5 second hold time for core, and increase reps weekly by 5 and hold time every other week by 5 seconds working up to 100 reps and 60 seconds by 2009. So I'm telling you this plan to hold myself accountable. There will be no excuses not to do it. I watch TV every day so I can do this every day. I want to do this in addition to my 3 yoga, 3 cardio workout a week.
If anyone is interested...for arms I'll do bicep curl, triceps and shoulder raises with 3lb. weights. Increasing weight and reps weekly.
For core (abs,back) I'm going to do push ups, superman, superman twists, Vsits, crunches, crunch twists, and windmills. Increasing reps weekly and hold time (if applies) bi weekly.

Watching the Olympics, especially some of the older athletes that the announcers make a big deal of, has really inspired me. I know the horse has already left the barn when it comes to me ever competing on that level. But in my 40's I hope I can train to do something athletic. Maybe a mini triathlon. Maybe a yoga instructor or trainer with a focus on helping obese people. Maybe take over my Dad's dream and swim the English Channel. He made it sound like it was legal and safe but I'll have to look into that. Maybe I'll just get really good at Yoga and have toned "guns." Just putting some dreams out there hoping these thoughts will lead to something else.

No comments: