Kim's Weight Loss

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ebonics

I know this is a difficult subject, but it's my life. Micah and Noah though biracial biologically had been raised in a pretty lilly white, vanilla suburb. Our environment has changed in the last 2 yrs. I'm happy about this and this is what I would have wanted for my family regardless of their racial make up. The majority of their classmates are all shades of brown, all their new friends are not just African American but some are actually African. They are loved and I believe coming into their own self as biracial children. Noah in particular has picked up the urban slang, as I've been calling it. I know it's not the way all African American people speak, but it's the way a lot of their classmates and friends apeak here in Mt. Healthy. I've been correcting him, just because of the grammar. He likes to introduce his brothers like this. "I'm Noah and here go my brother Micah, and there go my brother Jadon. "
Tonight was classic though. We were standing in the quiet sanctuary of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church taking a tour as part of the Greek Festival and there were about 20 people in the room. As we approached the alter. Noah says in full Noah, no volume control voice. "look Daddy there go Jesus hangin' on the cross!" I made a bee line to the back trying to stifle my laughter. NOW that's funny!!!!!!! There go mommy peeing her pants......

1 comment:

Deb Wiggins said...

And here go Deb laughing at Noah and his mother!